Beef Rendang

A French man once asked me where I was from. I told him I'm Malaysian. One of the first things he told me was that he had one of the best Malaysian food in Australia called Beef Rendang! I wasn't sure how to react to that; surprised for knowing Beef Rendang as a delicious Malaysian dish, or that the best Rendang he had was in Australia. We became good friends since then and I am still amused by that comment till this day. I've a feeling we're good friends because of this rendang.

So here's the Rendang Recipe that I like. It does take quite a few hours and patience to make this dish but it is well worth your time. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

If you would like to learn more about Rendang and its origins, here's an explanation on Wikipedia.

Beef rendang served with rice


Beef Rendang

recipe from No Recipe
serves 5

Ingredients:


For spice paste:
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground coriander seed
  • 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
  • 2.5 cm fresh ginger (roughly chopped)
  • 4 large cloves garlic (roughly chopped)
  • 200g shallots (4 large shallots roughly chopped)
  • 3 tbs chilli pepper flakes (or to taste)

For the beef:
  • 2 tbs vegetable oil
  • 900g casserole / braising beef (chuck/blade), cut into large cubes
  • 2 stalks lemongrass (white part only, smashed)
  • 4 kaffir lime leaves
  • 2.5 cm galangal (sliced)
  • 1 can quality coconut milk
  • 1 tbs palm sugar (or brown sugar)

Methods:

Please refer to the original site I got the recipe from, for the methods. Marc explains it really well with pictures to help you along the way.
 


0 comments :

Post a Comment