Cantonese Egg Tart

My sister and her husband are arriving later in the evening and I am very sure they will be tired after a 13 hours flight. I am so excited, I feel as if I am going on a long holiday. So being the loving sister anticipating their arrival, I have cleaned and cleared space in my room to make them feel as comfortable as possible. I will also provide them with all the attention and assistance needed, and be their personal tour guide. So I foresee not having time to bake or cook anything interesting for this week's post.

Beach in Penang


I have chosen a recipe that reminds me of our childhood weekend brunch routine. My parents would take us all out for dim sum almost every sunday for brunch when we were young. Then we would take a walk along the beach, play with the water and collect beautiful seashells. When we got home from the beach, we would wash the seashells, dry them and compare to see who's got the best shells. It has always been a fun weekend.

So I am sharing with you recipe for the Cantonese Egg Tart. It is one of my favourite, besides har kau (shrimp dumpling with shiny translucent skin) and sesame balls. It is a must order every time I go for dim sum.

I made the tarts in a muffin tray instead of little separate tart cases. 



My first batch of egg tarts!! =)


CANTONESE EGG TART RECIPE


adapted from Christine's Recipes


Ingredients:

For the Crust:




  • 225g plain flour

  • 125g unsalted butter 

  • 50g icing sugar

  • 1 egg (whisked)

  • 1 drop of vanilla extract


For the Egg Custard:



  • 3 eggs

  • 60g golden caster sugar

  • 225g hot water

  • 85g evaporated milk

  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract


Method:



Please follow the methods on Christine's blog as they are very precise. Successful egg tarts are guaranteed if the step by step methods are followed well. The tips are very useful as well.









I was surprised at how easy it was to make. A good recipe makes all the difference. So a great thank you to Christine for her amazing recipes and her note to pull open the oven door at the last stage. It was very helpful. It kept the egg custard from puffing up, keeping the flat and smooth surface.

** I reduced the sugar for the custard to 60g instead of the 110g since I did not want them to be too sweet. Change the amount to your liking.

2 comments :